Elementary School Partnership
Providing opportunities to develop compassionate relationships with students & families in our local community.
Connecting our church body to students and families in need, one relationship at a time.
Currently networked with:
- Woodside Elementary, Everett School District
- Challenger Elementary, Mukilteo School District
- Horizon Elementary, Mukilteo School District
In the Spring of 2008, in response to a growing passion for reaching out with God’s love to our community, a group of NCPC people began meeting and exploring the possibility of developing a partnership with a local elementary school. It was discerned that Woodside Elementary was a good fit with NCPC. The Woodside student body is comprised of a disproportionate number of families who live in alternative and often transitory housing, these families often face social and financial challenges. Since that time, many projects have been coordinated with our church body to serve the Woodside community including the backpack drive donating 100 backpacks filled with school supplies, the Book & Literacy Fair held at the Heatherwood apartments (students from these apartments attend Woodside), several chaperoned trips to Operation School Bell and Operation Snowman, which raised over $500 in gift cards for families in need.
The relationship between NCPC and Woodside Elementary was so successful that we began to look at other local elementary schools with similar demographics to expand our vision. That’s where we are today, we are the NCPC/Elementary School Partnership, serving Woodside Elementary, Challenger Elementary and Horizon Elementary.
If you would like to get involved, have questions, and/or would like to be part of this team, contact Jana Larson.
Here are some ways to get involved:
Volunteer—One Time Events
- Reading assessment days— 3 to 4 hrs. This event usually happens twice a year. Go into the classroom and work with students one-on-one. Using the assessment format provided by the teacher score each students reading capabilities.
- Operation School Bell chaperone—2 hrs. Schools usually send students to Operation School Bell once a month. This program is located in Everett, WA and gives clothes & coats to students in need.
- Serve our Schools, formerly known as Jubilee—a once a year event happening two different days in August to serve three schools. Click here for pictures of this event.
On-going and Relational Activities
- In-class tutoring/assistance (Woodside)—1 hr/week or once a month (whatever fits your schedule.)
- Lunch Buddy Program (Woodside/Challenger)—1 hr/week or once a month. You will be assigned a student for the year. You will then meet with your student at school for lunch and/or recess.
- Parent’s Club (Challenger)—2 hrs/week or every other week. This club is held Thursday evenings. Volunteers interact with students and parents in the school library by playing games, reading and using tools on the computers.
- Homework Club (Horizon) - coming soon.
Financial Giving opportunities
- Operation Snowman—Christmas time gift cards for families in need. See letter from Woodside Elementary School principal, Dr. Betty Cobbs.
- Back-to-school backpack drive—backpacks filled with school supplies for students in need.